Sunday, April 1, 2012

Navajo Taco

Tonight we cooked Navajo Tacos, I found this on the whatsfordinner.net website.  The recipe for 4 servings is:

1 lb & 4 oz canned pinto beans
8 oz ground beef
1/4 cup salsa
2 oz onion
2 oz green pepper
2 oz red pepper
2 oz lettuce
2 cups tomato sauce
1 dash pepper
1 dash Italian seasoning
1 dash cilantro
1 dash lemon pepper
1 oz cheddar cheese
2 cups flour
2 ts baking powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil

     I altered the recipe a bit.  I used one 15oz can of northern white beans, 1 lb ground beef, chopped a whole small onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 tomato, and a 26 oz can tomato sauce.  We didn't have Italian seasonings so I used a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano.  We also bought a can of refried beans, cause we love them on tacos.

     First I dropped the beans in a pot, and the beef in a pan.  In the beans we put the cilantro, pepper, lemon  pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and half the can of tomato sauce.  After the meat was cooked, I drained it and added the other half of the tomato sauce and the salsa.  I let those simmer as I made the dough.  I have a beautiful big red bowl I do alot of mixing in, I added the flour, baking powder and water together.  Lila and Eric helped out a bit..  Eric did all the chopping and Lila put the dough together and since we do not have a rolling pin she used a soda bottle to roll them out.  She loves helping me with dinner and has worked with dough often when we cook our sausage gravy and biscuit Sunday breakfasts.  Once Eric was done chopping he fried up the dough in a bit of olive oil.



    To build the tacos I put the bread on bottom, smeared on some refried beans, topped with the bean sauce, then meat.  Then everyone picked their own veggies, with cheese and salsa on top.




Everyone LOVED these.  I would say they were a hit!  Good Luck in your own endeavers and don't forget to donate to keep these pages alive and moving.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment